With a windstorm predicted, are you ready?
Take winter by storm with these tips:
• Make sure storm drains are clear of leaves and debris to prevent flooding in your neighborhood. Clear with a rake or broom (but don’t stand in the street). Don’t put grass clippings, leaves, or other debris into drains, ditches, creeks, culverts, gutters or ravines. If a storm drain appears blocked below the street surface, call 206-386-1800.
• Have a family emergency kit. Keep enough water, food and other supplies (flashlights, crank or battery-operated radio, blankets) in your home to meet your needs for at least three days.
• Keep your cell phone fully charged.
• Stay out of flooding basements. Check to see if your homeowner’s insurance covers flood damage.
• For power outages, call Seattle City Light at 206-684-7400. Give any info you know about the cause of the outage, such as, you see a fallen tree on your street which has pulled down power lines.
Visit www.takewinterbystorm.org for more tips on how to prepare for winter storms.