UPDATE: The Montlaker points out that Lake Washington Boulevard through the Arboretum will also be closed this weekend, from tonight (Friday, August 10th) until Sunday night.
The motto for this weekend should be “Plan Ahead and Be Patient!” That’s because there are several traffic closures and detours that are likely to impact your getting around this weekend. Here’s a list of known traffic modifications that could impact you, although this list should not be considered complete:
University LINK Construction
Down near the Husky Stadium, where construction has recently started for the new pedestrian/bicycle overpass, there are weekend closures and detours that can be expected. According to Sound Transit,
In order to build the bridge the contractor will need to close traffic lanes and sidewalks on Montlake Blvd. between NE Pacific Place and Street through the end of September on weekends and some weeknights. This weekend’s work includes: sidewalk widening, revised lane striping and installing bridge foundations next to the east and west sidewalks of Montlake Blvd…
Friday August 10, 2012 (7 p.m. – 5 a.m.)
Southbound on Montlake Blvd.
- One lane southbound on Montlake Blvd will remain open between NE Pacific Street and Place.
Northbound on Montlake Blvd.
- All lanes northbound on Montlake Blvd. including the east sidewalk will be closed.
- To head northbound: turn left on NE Pacific Street, right onto NE Pacific Place and turn left back onto Montlake Blvd. at the signal
- Pedestrians/Bicyclists: Use the crosswalk and use the west sidewalk between NE Pacific Street and Place.
Saturday August 11, 2012 (5 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
- Alternating one lane closures northbound and southbound on Montlake Blvd. between NE Pacific Street and Place.
- Alternating east and west sidewalk closures between NE Pacific Street and Place.
Pedestrians/Bicyclists: During the sidewalk closure use the crosswalk at NE Pacific Street/Place to access the opposite side for detour.
SR-520 Bridge Closed (Open from Montlake to I-5)
WSDOT has to close SR-520 this weekend to demolish the Bellevue Way overpass and dig a 25 foot deep trench to install a culvert. The closure will begin tonight (Friday, August 10th) at 11PM and run through 5AM on Monday, August 13th. While a side note, the first pontoon is making its way from Hoquium and will be going through the locks tonight-ish. You can follow the progress of the pontoon HERE.
N/NW 85th and Greenwood Ave N Arterial Paving
Beginning tonight at 10PM, the I-5 Southbound off ramp at N 85th Street will be closed for 17 days! According to SDOT, this closure is necessary to complete Phase 5 of the project, from Wallingford Ave N to I-5, which includes
- The southbound I-5 off-ramp to N 85th St will close for 17 days and nights from August 10 through August 27.
- Drivers should exit I-5 at N 80th St or N 105th St during this closure.
- The eastbound N 85th St closure will continue to restrict access to I-5 from N 85th St until the end of August.
- Drivers should access north and southbound I-5 on-ramps via N 80th St to Banner Way NE or via N 105th St.
- Access to/from N 85th St at Meridian Ave N will remain closed.
- Burke Ave N will be open while Meridian Ave N is closed.